The Bermudez Triangle by Maureen Johnson


"Their friendship went so far back, it bordered on the Biblical -- in the beginning, there was Nina and Avery and Mel." So says high school senior Nina Bermudez about herself and her two best friends, nicknamed "The Bermudez Triangle" by a jealous wannabe back on Nina's eleventh birthday. But the threesome faces their first separation when Nina goes away the summer before their senior year. And in ten short weeks, everything changes.

Nina returns home bursting with stories about Steve, the quirky yet adorable eco-warrior she fell for hard while away. But when she asks her best friends about their summer romances, an awkward silence follows.

Nina soon learns the shocking truth when she sees Mel and Avery...kissing. Their friendship is rocked by what feels like the ultimate challenge. But it's only the beginning of a sometimes painful, sometimes funny, always gripping journey as three girls discover who they are and what they really want.


The Bermudez Triangle is a breezy, fun book about three best friends adapting to major changes in their friendship. For the most part, I enjoyed Nina, Mel, and to a lesser extent, Avery, as they venture through senior year both with and without each other. I especially liked Mel's awakening as a lesbian, and the hopeful way her story ended. 

I don't want to spoil anything for anyone has hasn't read this, but Nina and Avery's journeys were more controversial ones, at least for me. Avery is a very strong character with gigantic foibles, but I don't know if she learned anything by the end of the book because everyone else is so willing to accommodate her. I wish she expressed a bit more remorse, but she's kind of a water-off-a-duck personality. And Nina!! I don't agree with her romantic choices. I know, the heart wants what the heart wants, but like Avery, I'm not sure she learned anything from the past year. 

So these endings are really what affected my rating, and knocked off a star. That said, I did enjoy this book. It's the perfect summer read. 

Have you read The Bermudez Triangle? What did you think?




Comments

Popular Posts