Camila the Baking Star by Alicia Salazar

 


Synopsis:

Camila and her papa enter a baking competition on TV. As they start their challenge, Camila is determined to take complete control of their challenge, strawberry-iced cake pops. But without teamwork, their dessert is a mess! Is it too late to become baking stars?


My Thoughts:

I really love how many elementary chapter books with diverse characters are available to my  daughter. It's important to go beyond the standard immigrant story, and showcase BIPOC characters going about their ordinary lives, or in Camila's case, reaching for her goal of becoming a star. Camila and her stepfather enjoy baking together, and jump at a chance to compete on a baking show. During the competition, Camila rushes and makes a terrible mess of her batter. She realizes how important it is to work with her team (i.e. her papa), and so they start again, and succeed at creating amazing cake pops!

I liked the moral of the story, and the brightly colored, cartoon-inspired illustrations. I also liked how the Spanish words sprinkled throughout the book were highlighted in bright pink. I have to admit, at first I had reservations about this, but after some reflection, I feel it's necessary. The Camila books are geared toward newly independent readers, and I think the highlighted pink will be helpful in guiding children in their reading.

I can't wait to share this, and the other Camila books, with my first grader!








Comments

Popular Posts