Aven Green, Sleuthing Machine by Dusti Bowling

 


Synopsis:

Third-grader Aven Green has been solving mysteries for a whole month—cracking such cases as The Mystery of the Cranky Mom. But can this perceptive detective solve two cases at the same time? First her teacher’s lunch bag disappears. Then Aven’s great-grandma’s dog goes missing. Fortunately, since Aven was born without arms, all the “arm” cells went to her super-powered brain instead. (That’s her theory.) This hilarious chapter book showcases a new side to Dusti Bowling’s unforgettable protagonist.

My Thoughts:

Dusti Bowling's middle grade books have been on my radar for years now, but this is the first book of hers that I have read. And what a delight! I finished the last chapter of Aven Green, Sleuthing Machine, and then almost immediately checked out Insignificant Events in the Life of a Cactus from my library's Overdrive collection. 

Aven is a hilarious, witty protagonist who loves solving mysteries. The cases all have names that make me giggle, like The Mystery of the Cereal in My Underpants. And some of the dialogue is also gold, like this one:

"Grandma, where's the giant phone book of yours that everyone else throws in the recycling except for you?"

I also love how this book normalizes disabilities. Aven was born without arms, but it doesn't mean that she's any less awesome than her able-bodied peers. In fact, Aven is a leader, solving the mysteries of both her school's missing food and where her great-grandma's dog went, and befriending the new girl. 

I can't wait to read the next book in the series, Aven Green, Baking Machine!















Comments

Popular Posts