Spark by Sarah Beth Durst


Mina has grown up in a family of storm guardians, and expects to hatch a beast and nurture skills to help out on the farm. When it turns out that her hatchling is a lightning beast, quiet Mina's life takes an unexpected turn. Lightning guardians train at a special school, and are expected to take bold risks. Mina's ability to listen and observe, however, allows her to learn troubling truths about her beloved country. 

I loved this novel about quiet strengths and hidden leadership. I didn't realize it, but I'd been waiting a long time for a shy heroine. Yay! Even though it's a stand-alone, this fantasy world is also well fleshed out, both culturally and politically. Politics may sound strange in a middle grade novel, but it's very much a part of this story, and it definitely works. 


Also, there's just something about Durst's novels (this is the second I've read) that exudes joy and optimism. I'm usually drawn to dark literature, but this is a welcome breath of fresh air. I loved it all!

Spark is expected to come out in 2019. 


Comments

Popular Posts