Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter

YA Fantasy


This book should have really been my cup of tea. I love Alice in Wonderland and its various interpretations. I love everything zombies. But unfortunately, I didn't love this book.

It starts out well. Alice (or Ali, as she prefers to be called) always thought her paranoid father was a kook. He kept their family locked up after dark and raved about unseen monsters. It isn't until a horrible, supernatural accident takes the lives of Ali's entire family that she realizes her father was telling the truth after all. She should be afraid of the dark. 

And then things went downhill for me. Ali meets a cast of lively characters, including a quirky girl named Kat and a whole gang of tough guys with their ringleader, Cole. Ali has an instant attraction to Cole and experiences a weird mind meld with him. Logically, it should have been working. But Kat and the rest of the kids at school speak like stilted hipsters, and I didn't feel any emotion attachment to anyone, not even Ali.

I put this book aside for now. I may try finishing it sometime in the future. 





Comments

  1. My oldest daughter (21) read it, and she doesn't think that my 16 year old daughter should read it. I love Gena's adult books, but I haven't been a huge fan of her YA books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know Gena had adult books! I'll have to check them out.

      Delete
  2. I'm sad you didn't liked it more, I liked it but I was a little disappointed. What frustrated me was how the relationships had no actual development. Ali met with Kat and they became besties really fast, I didn't get it nor the insta-love of Ali and Cole. Kat acted horrible when she tried to "introduce" everyone to Ali, she was so bitchy, not sympathetic at all. Meanwhile I really liked the strange zombies and a few things what happened throughout the book. Oh, and I hope there will be some real resemblances to Alice in Wonderland in the next books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you're exactly right! Insta-love and insta-besties. I didn't get the connections at all. I'm guessing that they didn't get any better? I definitely like zombies though, so that might be reason enough to give it another try.

      Delete
  3. I felt the same way as you. The only characters I really liked were Ali's grandparents, they were a riot lol. Way too much bitchy school girl drama, not enough zombies.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts