We Were Mothers by Katie Sise




The cover of We Were Mothers looks pastoral at first glance, doesn't it? There are strewn flowers, and a clean, beige background. But look closer. Are those flowers wilted AND torn apart? Welcome to the world of Ravendale. It starts innocently enough, at a toddlers' birthday party. Yes, twin toddlers. Everyone gathered there has secrets, dark ones, and before the week is over, four women's lives have changed forever.

I read a lot of reviews describing this novel as a less successful Big Little Lies. I haven't read that book, but I guess I should, because I really enjoyed reading We Were Mothers! I didn't click with all the characters, but I was flabbergasted with the ways their lives detonated, and how one chain reaction led to another. It was a bit soap opera-y at times, and the ratio of men behaving quite badly was quite high. None of that really bothered me, however. It was a suspenseful, attention-grabbing read!

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for an ARC.



Comments

Popular Posts