The Escape Room by Megan Goldin



Financial analysts are creepy people! I write this tongue-in-cheek, having spent several years as a financial analyst, although nowhere near the financial or prestigious stratosphere as the four bankers unwittingly participating into an "escape room" team building exercise. There are terrible things in Vincent, Jules, Sam and Syvlie's past, and all of the skeletons in their closets tumble out as they try to escape. 

This is a revenge novel, and while most of the characters are truly despicable, we do get two sympathetic folks: fellow analysts Lucy and newcomer Sarah. Much of the story is told from Sarah's perspective, who we're told early on is deceased. The rest of our chapters are with the four bankers trapped in an elevator, as they slowly realize how much trouble they're in. 

This isn't my typical read: I'm not that into Wall Street, or the wolfish games of high-stake finance. The concept of an escape room gone horribly wrong was what drew me in, but I found myself engrossed in Sarah's world. She isn't an entirely likable character, but it's easy to understand her motives. 

I think the ending happened BEFORE it should have. No spoilers, but I think some of the most interesting repercussions would happen after the last page, so to speak. 

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for an ARC. 





Comments

Popular Posts