Emily of New Moon by Lucy Maud Montgomery


I'm finishing up my PopSugar Reading Challenge for this year, and one of the prompts was to read a childhood classic you've never read before. I read all of Montgomery's Anne books, some more than once, and remain devoted to the original miniseries from the 80's. Anne of Green Gables has a reassuring nostalgia to it; it's something I turn to when I'm sick, or just had a really awful day. It's something I hope to introduce my toddler to when she's old enough.


I was pleased to find that there are several similarities between Emily of New Moon and Anne of Green Gables, although not so similar it feels as if I'm reading Anne, Take Two. Emily ends up at New Moon under the guardianship of her aunts after her father's passing. She has a wild imagination, as Anne did, but Emily has already established her as a writer, or, as she calls herself, "a poetess." This doesn't bode well with no-nonsense Aunt Elizabeth. Parallels could be made between Elizabeth and Marilla, but Elizabeth is a lot less yielding. 

Anyway, Emily establishes herself in this new place, with these new people, makes both fickle and true friendships, and struggles with her identity as a writer. All in all, I enjoyed it, and I do think I'll go on to read the next of the Emily books. Maybe next year! 

Have you read Emily of New Moon? What did you think?




Comments

Popular Posts