Alice Isn't Dead by Joseph Fink



I originally gave this 4 stars, but I think it's more of a 4.75, so closer to a 5. I am a HUGE fan of the podcast, Welcome to Night Vale, but I've never listened to the sister podcast, Alice Isn't Dead. Fink writes in the epilogue that the podcast is completely different than this book, which is good news for me - I really want to listen to the podcast now! 

This book follows Keisha, who becomes convinced that her deceased wife, Alice, isn't actually dead. Her journey takes her across the country and back again, and straight into the path of the Thistle, a horrific species feeding on wayfarers and travelers. Literally, feeding on them. Alice is a reluctant heroine - she is most definitely a homebody, and isn't afraid to embrace her anxiety and fear. But she goes forward, befriending a young homeless woman, Sylvia, who has also seen the Thistle first hand. 

The Welcome to Night Vale novels are good, but I think that some of the impact would be lost if you weren't a fan of the podcast first. I think that Alice Isn't Dead is amazing even without previous knowledge of the podcast. There's also a great message about hate, hope, and going forward in the face of adversity.



Comments

Popular Posts