The Friendship Pact by Alison James


Lucy is stuck in an abusive, controlling marriage. Her surgeon husband monitors everything from her text messages to how often she visits her father. She tries to leave, but he tracks her down and drags her back home. Lucy decides to contact a very old friend, Adele, to see if she can help - she knows Adele spent some time in prison for fraud, and thinks she might have some unsavory connections to help Lucy make a new life for herself. The only thing is - she and Adele have a terrible childhood secret that they're hiding.

I don't know, guys. Maybe I'm bit tapped out with psychological thrillers at the moment. On one hand, Lucy was a sympathetic character - her husband was a monster, and she indeed needed to get out of that marriage. But on the other, I couldn't understand the reasons for some of her choices. Namely, those involving Adele.

I know that female friendships, especially around the tween age, can be super intense, but Lucy and Adele were only close for one year, other than a few random encounters. It seemed strange that Adele was the first (and only) person Lucy thought could help her. That said, I understand that abusive relationships can make all friendships wither and dissolve. But honestly? I'm torn.

The twist at the end wasn't surprising to me, although once again I questioned everyone's choices. Would this really have happened this way?

I do love the gorgeous cover. I just wish that some of these characters weren't so predictable.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for an ARC.




Comments

Popular Posts