#WeNeedDiverseBooks - 10 Books in 10 Months

So I've been thinking long and hard about the #WeNeedDiverseBooks phenomenon. I'm really excited about the positive responses, and have about a million tweets of my own on the subject, but I don't want interest in diverse YA fiction to fizzle out after the campaign is over. That's why I'm pledging to spend the next ten months reading diverse YA. 

On May 3rd, in support of the Diversify Your Shelves initiative (see more here), I'll buy ten books, all featuring diverse protagonists. I'll then spend each month reading a new book, and will post my review and thoughts on this blog. 

I love any excuse to buy books, but this is for an especially good cause. When I was reading YA as a child, I had ONE role model: Claudia Kishi from The Babysitter's Club. I'm thankful that I had such a fun, artistic, creative Asian protagonist to look up to (much love to Ann M. Martin), but I wish there had been more. By supporting diverse books and diverse authors, I hope to show 1) the incredible range and talent of these works and 2) and the need for us to have even more! 

Want to participate? Let me know your book recommendations! Share your own reviews! 

Hope to hear from you. :)

Comments

Popular Posts